ED636 - Fall 2006

A course focusing on the role of the advanced technologies of education such as telecommunications and interactive media in the instructional process. Emphasis is on the selection, utilization, and evaluation of these media resources for instruction. Applications for advanced technologies in the teaching learning process are stressed.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

ED636 - Fall 2006

ED636 - Fall 2006
Thomas Petra
Visual Thoughts

What I’ve learned so far is that I am already applying many of the concepts presented in the textbook, but I am behind the times in a lot of areas. Technology can be hard to keep up with, and some of it requires money and advanced equipment.
After reading the chapter on visuals in my book, I thought about how I may be already applying those ideas. I am a math teacher so we are quite dependent on visuals in my class. The majority of visuals I use are nonprojected visuals. I try to make my room visually appealing to the students. I use motivating posters including one of Albert Einstein. I have charts of conversion tables, early Chinese number systems, and one for tracking typhoons. Sometimes I will hang something on the wall that in unrelated to math just to stimulate ideas, for instance a Guam fruit chart or a topographic map of Mount Rainer. My students and I use drawings and charts on an almost daily basis to solve math problems. Drawing a picture is a method they apply in problem solving. When my students make a graph or chart, I require them to do it by hand. I know there are computer programs to generate these, but I think my students need to arrange and produce these by pencil on paper to learn the concepts fully.
We do not use projected media as much as nonprojected media. I have an overhead projector in my room but I don’t use it often. Although I have produced transparencies, when I do use the overhead, it is usually by drawing directly on a clear sheet. I have used the projector to demonstrate with manipulatives. I had never heard of a document camera before. That would seem to be a useful tool for a math teacher to use.
But as far as overhead projectors go, I find it quicker and easier to do things by hand on a white board.
I was surprised the book even mentioned slides. That seems so ancient now. What interests me most now is projecting via a computer. That would really make things easier for me. I could make charts or diagrams on my computer and display them the next day. I could display information downloaded from the Internet or even have a modern-style slide show.
We use visuals constantly in math to diagram the abstract and communicate ideas. This has been done since Euclid drew in the sand with his finger. I could continue to represent visuals as I am, but I also have to understand that my audience is getting a lot more sophisticated. So, I would like to place an order for a computer projector for my classroom and a document camera for the math department. Are they cheap?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home