ED636 - Fall 2006

A course focusing on the role of the advanced technologies of education such as telecommunications and interactive media in the instructional process. Emphasis is on the selection, utilization, and evaluation of these media resources for instruction. Applications for advanced technologies in the teaching learning process are stressed.

Friday, October 06, 2006

My Instructional Technology Goals


I think I have mentioned before that my goal is to be more consistent in the use of technology and its integration into the curriculum.

This year, my advanced math class has ventured outside the classroom setting and into the Linux lab to create charts in spreadsheets. Our lesson was about Statistics and I wanted to show them how easy it was to create and manipulate charts with the use of a computer. I am guessing this was the first time they have seen spreadsheets and charts because the minute they hit the Create Charts button, you could really see the smiles on their faces and hear the collective "oohs"and "aahs" that accompany anything "cool" for a middle-schooler. A teacher never forgets that moment.

However, I would like to do something in terms of technology with my earth science and physics classes. I was thinking of using handhelds with sensors when doing experiments but on second thought, how often are we going to use them to justify their purchase? Maybe have them go on a webquest? That might work, if I could be a little creative in scheduling 2 classes into 1 computer lab.

I guess the realization of my goal will depend on how consistent I am with technology by ensuring that at least one form of technology integration occurs in my classroom every quarter. I can build up from there until it has become ingrained in my way of teaching that its use becomes second nature already.

2 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Blogger Thomas Petra said...

I would have to say that I don't support the use of computer graphic programs for Middle School or younger students to make graphs or charts. I feel it is important for them to learn "hands on" how to arrange their scales and the overall appearance of their graphs first. The programs are good tools that could be used at the conclusion of a graphing unit or in the Upper School, but I want the students to learn about bar bias and other things that a graphing program takes care of automatically. Is this an old-fashioned viewpoint?

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger arlene chua said...

I tried to give my students the best of both worlds. Aside from using spreadsheets they also had the opportunity to create charts manually by first doing surveys and then graphing their results on a butcher paper for a class presentation. They learned how outliers affect the mean but not the median, and so on and so forth. It took us a while but we did it.

Yes, there is a time for students to learn to create graphs with paper and pencil and there is a time for spreadsheets. BUT just like calculator use, the teacher should know when to use the technology to enable the students to do problem solving and free students from being hampered by laborious manipulation of numbers. It is interesting to note that the NCTM recommends students starting from grades 3-5 be familiar with this kind of technology.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home