ED636 - Fall 2006

A course focusing on the role of the advanced technologies of education such as telecommunications and interactive media in the instructional process. Emphasis is on the selection, utilization, and evaluation of these media resources for instruction. Applications for advanced technologies in the teaching learning process are stressed.

Friday, November 17, 2006

My Philosophy on Instructional Technology


Kanban is going to be my one-word descriptor for what I believe instructional technology should be. I said this as much in one my chapter reflections for this class.

Kanban is a Japanese word which means learning or utilizing something when one actually needs it. As opposed to learning something just for learning’s sake and not actually using it, I believe it is more important to learn how to do something because it is appropriate to learn it at a particular point in time. Learning it therefore will make more sense and will, in all probability, engender the long-term usage of the technology.

The spirit of kanban is based on getting something from a “warehouse” only when it is needed. Therefore, as instructional technologists, we must have our own “warehouses” where we keep tricks and treats of all sorts related to educational technology. This implies that we must be eager seekers of technology also but at the same time, possess a keen, discerning eye on what needs to be kept in that warehouse, and what needs to be taken out and used in the classroom.

Kanban. Banzai!

1 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Blogger Araceli Nelson said...

Before I new that this program, Master's in Tech Education was going to be offer at St. John's School I was looking for a program in Tech Education with different universities. I wanted to find something that I will really enjoy and use it in my classroom. I like to learn things that I am going to use in the future. I agree with what you wrote.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home