ED636 - Fall 2006

A course focusing on the role of the advanced technologies of education such as telecommunications and interactive media in the instructional process. Emphasis is on the selection, utilization, and evaluation of these media resources for instruction. Applications for advanced technologies in the teaching learning process are stressed.

Saturday, October 21, 2006

ED636 - Fall 2006

I honestly do not have many goals when it comes to technology in my classroom. While I do use some, such as overheads and computers for a reading program called Accelerated Reading, I feel that at the age of my students (7 and 8) what they need is a teacher who interacts with them, not a teacher who has a computer interact with them. They have a computer class, and I think that is enough.

I do have my own personal goals related to technology, though. The first is to learn how to create a website. We have to do the webquest thing in here, and I guess that is the first step in learning to create a webpage. I still have SO MUCH to do on that, and I worry that I will never get it finished. In any case, I have wanted to create a webpage for years but have never found anybody to sit down with me and help me. I am also not too good and throwing myself into something that I don't understand.

I would also like to learn about the palm pilots. I see a lot of people with these, and my image is that they are basically electronic date books. I don't understand the interest that people have in them. However, my guess is that they can do far more than that. If that was not the case I don't think people would be so interested.

I would like to start using my desk top computer a little more with students. Another teacher and I just found a website containing whale songs. It would be so easy to introduce the students to that. I think that will be one of my main goals for the next few months.

1 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger Musikero671 said...

Ben,
Glad to know about your curiousity with Hand Handheld Computers (formerly, palm pilots or PDAs). They are more than just "date" books. They have window office capabilities (word, excel, power point). You can have wireless connection to the internet with it. You have myriad of freebies for any program that can be used in education (see website: palmfreeware.com, etc). I encourage you to use one. You'll see how it would change your outlook.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home